Sunday, February 10, 2008

#22 Audiobooks (or "The end is in sight ")

I found the site "Gutenberg's Audio eBook Collection" difficult to navigate and I never really knew what I was going to get. Mixing "restricted" titles with the free titles made the process disjointed.

I personally could not bear to listen to the computer voiced versions and was surprised at just how few "professionally read" titles there were.

I have heard of a project where people from across the world are reading copyright free material chapter by chapter, and then upload thier work to the central site. This is then available as a download to all . .. This can reduce the cost of a project like the conversion of guttenberg texts to a spoken format.

The creation of audiobook versions of stories from our emerging communities would be a powerful project. Especially for communities with little written literature, and low literacy levels in thier own language.

No comments: